02 March, 2018

Book Review: The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

Title: The Ocean at the End of the Lane 
Originally published: June 18, 2013
Author: Neil Gaiman
Publisher: William Morrow and Company
ISBN 1472228421, 9781472228420
Length: 272 pages


Found this book by accident, as I was scrolling through available audiobooks at my local public library.  Now I am a NeilGaimanaholic!

Truly, I cannot describe the story line much, without giving a lot away, but it involves a man who remembers pieces of his childhood, beginning when an Australian opal miner steals his father's car.  The car is found later at the end of the lane.  During his youthful travels, the boy befriends a family of women, who say they lived before the moon was hung in the sky.  And, that the pond on their land wasn't a pond; it was really an ocean.

And here's the best part: there are cats in the story!  A black cat, with a spot over one ear, named...appropriately...Ocean, and who was a kitten at first, but age doesn't move linearly in that part of the world!  The boy loves his cat, and now that I've read a few other Neil Gaiman stories, I find that the author must be a huge cat-lover, because felines are sprinkled into all his tales.

I listened to a recording of this book, read by the author himself, so perhaps his own voice, reading his own words helped to sweep me along into this land of adults who don't understand, and children who do.  However, I heartily recommend it to anyone; you will find it a page-turner!




11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very unusual book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW1 Sounds like an intriguing book. I shall put it on my list!
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love him too! but have not read that book yet so I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like anything with cats in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound pretty interesting especially with bonus cats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll have to check if we can get this through our library's online audio offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very interesting book! And appearances of cats are always good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When dad saw this book cover he thought he'd read it, but after your synopsis he doesn't think so (I personally think he actually might've read it, but he seems more and more memory challenged these days). Audio books are great, but dad says there's nothing like curling up in the comfy chair early early in the morning holding a book, his Orbit mug 'o coffee and me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it seems to be a grat book! Thanks for recommending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been on my to-read list for a while now. I'll have to move it up now that I know there's a cat in it!

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....